We’ve been working with a mid-market chemical process manufacturer. As the selection team considers their options, we recently had the opportunity to attend a detailed demonstration of the Deacom ERP solution for manufacturers.
One of Ultra’s core services is teaming with mid-market manufacturers during the ERP selection process. To that end, we make it a priority to seek out systems that specifically address a company’s unique business processes.
About Deacom ERP
Deacom ERP is a privately held company founded in 1995 by current president and CEO, Jay Deakins. Based in Pennsylvania, Deacom ERP has 40 employees and over 150 customers in the process manufacturing industry.
Deacom ERP is noteworthy because it offers a single ERP system that includes not only what we traditionally consider the standard ERP features and functions, but also ‘extras’ such as Business Intelligence, CRM, document management, and automated shop floor control/advanced warehousing.
Deacom is also unique for their vertical emphasis on process manufacturing with functionality targeted to companies including adhesives and sealants; chemical; paint, ink and coatings; cosmetics and personal care; food & beverage; and pharmaceutical.
Our Insights on Deacom ERP Software
We appreciated the chance to get an up close look at the system which is always an important step during ERP selection. We came away with the following perceptions about the system.
- Ease of Customization: Deacom ERP stresses the fact that their solution requires no bolt-ons or customizations. Any changes (or customizations) required to meet a client requirement are made directly in the system and made available to all clients. We saw that feature in action, and can see the benefits.
- Implementation Advantages: The ERP implementation process is always fraught with risk – implementations rarely happen on time or within budget. Deacom points to a 100% successful implementation rate. Their pricing model is intriguing given that they provide a fixed price implementation.
- Features for the Batch Process Industry: We advise our clients to take a close look at vertical industry solutions during an ERP software comparison project. As noted earlier, Deacom specializes in process manufacturing systems. Integrated features include formula management which allows changes to formulas to instantly impact inventory, production requirements and planning. The user can set up formulas once, then scale to any batch or package size.
- Integration: The demo included a demonstration of they systems fully integrated workflow for notification and/or approval processes. The integrated Customer Relationship Module (CRM) has built in links for finding contacts on LinkedIn as well as with Google search.
- System Flexibility: Our client was impressed with the system’s capability to drill down to the transaction from summary level. It was also a plus that users can add an infinite number of user defined fields. As an example, we asked about creating a user defined field for a specific Certificate of Analysis and Deacom was able to do it in under four minutes – while explaining every step of the process.
- Robust Scheduling: Deacom ERP offers a graphical scheduling capability that is intentionally designed to look like a scheduling process that utilizes a white board. Within the scheduling function, users can define the sequence of work events (e.g. if I make X before Y, then I do Z; if X doesn’t come before Y, then I do M). We found it interesting that the system shows the time it takes to process any sort of system request.
All in all, our process manufacturing client was impressed with Deacom’s apparent ability to meet their requirements – both today and in the future.
To take a close look at Deacom ERP for yourself, don’t miss Ultra’s ERP Vendor Webinar Series for Process Manufacturers. The event takes place November 4 – 8, 2013 and includes a demo by the Deacom team.