Project management is key to a successful implementation. Inadequate project management has played a major role in failed implementations. A qualified, dedicated project manager is rule number one in all ERP implementations.
The Project Management Office (PMO)
Ultra recommends the establishment of a project management office (PMO). The PMO should be staffed with experienced ERP project managers. The role requires full time management. A PMO can include multiple team members as long as responsibilities are clearly defined.
The PMO is responsible for managing the resources and the plan. The PMO will report directly to an executive steering committee. The project team, both vendor and client, report to the PMO. The team members are responsible for completing their tasks according to the plan.
The following are characteristics of a good project manager:
- Previous experience managing projects
- Has respect of organization
- Has to be a leader
- Has to be firm about requiring satisfactory performance from the team, both client and vendor
- Has a understanding of the entire range of processes.
Ultra Consultants often supplement client resources with the execution of PMO duties.
Ultra’s ERP Project Management Resources
Ultra consultants are all skilled, experienced ERP implementation project managers. We can assist our client with in any of the following capacities:
- Project Manager. An Ultra Consultant can fill the position of Project Manager. In this position, Ultra will manage your staff and the ERP vendors to achieve an on-time, on-budget implementation. The Ultra Consultant will be on-site 100% of the time. Ultra clients request this service when they find they do not have a manager they can assign to this role.
- Project Manager Assistant. An Ultra Consultant or an Ultra Partner can fill the position of Project Manager Assistant. In this role, the Ultra Consultant assists the Client Project Manager with project management duties. The Ultra Consultant will be on site one (1) to three (3) days per week. Time requirements will vary based on how much time the Client Manger can give to the project. Ultra clients request this service when they have an internal manager, but the individual cannot devote 100%, and therefore needs an experienced assistant.
- Business Team Leader. An Ultra Consultant can fill the position of Business Team Leader. Each ERP project requires several functional team leaders. An example is a Financial Team Leader. This individual leads the client staff through the implementation process. The Ultra Consultant will be on site three (3) to four (4) days per week. Clients request this service when they do not have an individual that has the time or the ability to lead a functional team.
- Steering Committee Advisor. An Ultra Consultant or an Ultra Partner can fill this position. In this role, Ultra provides advice and counsel to the project steering committee and project team throughout the project. The Ultra Consultant or Partner will be on site two (2) to four (4) days per month. Clients request this service when they have qualified a project manager, but want to maintain Ultra’s experience and knowledge into the implementation.
Ultra’s ERP Project Management Services
- Organization roles and responsibilities
- Reporting requirements
- Data conversion plans
Communication and reporting
- Weekly meeting management
- Issues log
- Project budget
- Project reports
- Steering committee meetings
- Issue resolution
- Vendor performance
- Core team performance