Business intelligence requirements include:
- Identification of users
- Definition of key performance metrics and measures
- Definition of source data
- Definition of business dimensions
The Business Dimension map defines how the business will look at data. Every key performance metric spans multiple dimensions. Let’s take Sales as a key performance metric. How will you look at Sales?
- By customer, customer segment, customer family, ship to, bill to, end-user, etc.
- By product, product family, SKU, custom configurations, etc.
- By sales organization, sales rep, etc.
- By market segment
- By geography
Also what are the time dimensions: day, week, month, quarter, and year? Calendar and Fiscal? What are the measurements: dollars, units, tons, etc.? What cost data is available for margin analysis? Standard, current? Which cost burdens? Material, labor, fixed overhead, variable overhead, outside processing, etc.? Can Sales be compared to Sales Budget, Sales Plan, Sales Forecast? What granularity differences exist between the Dimensions available for Sales and Sales Plan?